Skip to content

Food and Agriculture

Canada's food and agriculture sector is strong and diverse with tremendous opportunities ranging from its primary producers, high-tech processing, manufacturing facilities, after-market and technical expertise. At the Danish Trade Council, we help Danish companies navigate the North American market and facilitate business opportunities.

Food & agri

Market for food
Canada's import sales comprised of $39.4 billion in 2014 —an increase of 14.9% compared to last year. Canada remained the world's sixth-largest importer, making up 2.9% of the total value of world agriculture and agri-food imports.

There are about 24 thousand retail stores and close to 63 thousand foodservice establishments in Canada, with total consumer sales of $131 billion (2005). About 75% is distributed through traditional food stores (large chains and independent grocers). The remaining 25% come from drug stores, warehouse clubs, mass merchandisers, convenience stores, etc.

Market for agro industry and food technology
Production efficiency and use of new technologies on farm and in food processing is slightly behind Denmark, which bodes well for Danish companies.

Market access and import conditions
CETA offers EU firms more and better business opportunities in Canada. The agreement fully uphold Europe's standards in areas such as food safety and worker's rights. However, Canada will continue to have supply-managed milk, cheese, eggs and poultry. Imports are controlled using tariff quotas.

Top 10 reasons to do business in Canada:

  1. A Welcoming Business Climate – Canada is the best country in the G-20 to do business in, according to both Forbes and Bloomberg
  2. A Strong Growth Record – Canada led all G-7 countries in economic growth over the past decade (2006-2015)
  3. Stability – for the past several years the World Economic Forum has rated Canada’s banking systems as the world’s soundest
  4. Seamless North American Market Access – U.S.A. and Canada are the world’s largest trade partners
  5. Low Business Tax Costs – total business tax costs in Canada are by far the lowest in the G-7 and 46% lower than those in the United States
  6. Cost Competitiveness – Canada offers a 14.6% cost advantage over the U.S. on average
  7. CETA – Comprehensive and Economic Trade Agreement eliminates 98% of tariffs between the Canadian and European economies, meaning preferential access to the North American (or combined GDP of nearly US$37 trillion)
  8. General Openness to Imports and adoption of new technologies, which opens the doors for importers
  9. Canada is the worlds’ 5th´-largest exporter and 6th´-largest importer of agriculture and agri-food products
  10. A great place to invest, work, and live! Canada is one of the most multicultural countries in the world, with world-class universities, a universal health care system and clean and friendly cities. The OECD’s Better Life Index shows Canada as best in the G-7 in terms of overall living conditions and quality of life.





Would you like to know more?

Please contact:


Helene Scherling Olsen
Consular and Senior Trade Advisor
001 (416) 640 7484