Skip to content

Student permit

Several Canadian educational institutions have exchange programs with several Danish educational institutions. If you are planning to study for more than 3 months in Denmark you must apply for a student permit.
Step 1: Start the Application and Pay Application Fee 
Once your enrolment is approved by the Danish educational institution, a two-part application form is forwarded to you with Part 2 filled out by the host school. Fill out Part 1 and submit the form along with the other required documents on the Embassy checklist (see Step 2 below).

Pay the fee for the Embassy online via the following link and ensure to include the receipt with your application:

Important: Please read this explanation regarding the fee structure for the permit you're applying for.


Step 2: Collect Documents
Please click here for our document checklist.

Please note: The document checklist found within the student permit application form is slightly different from the Embassy checklist. Please follow the Embassy checklist carefully.

Your original passport will be shipped to the Royal Danish Embassy in Ottawa for verification, but will be returned to you via courier (prepaid at VFS), usually within a week.


Step 3: Submit Application
Applications for residence permits for Denmark must always be made in person as biometric features (digital photo, fingerprints and signature) are mandatory requirements for permit applications.

Please notice that applications should not be submitted until 3 months prior to the start of your study period.

To book an appointment please click here for the VFS Global booking module.

Please note that when booking an appointment online, it will be at a VFS Global Centre, not at the Embassy or any of our consulates.

Addresses for the VFS Global Application Centres can be accessed here.

Please do not show up for your appointment more than 10 minutes in advance.


Please note that documentation is accepted only in the following languages:

  • English
  • Danish
  • Norwegian
  • Swedish

Documentation in French is unfortunately not accepted.

Failing to submit all relevant documentation will result in unnecessary delays or rejection.

All residence permit applications are handled by the Royal Danish Embassy in Ottawa. Application are forwarded to the Danish Immigration Service or Danish Agency for Labour Retention and International Recruitment.

After processing the application, the Danish Immigration Service or Danish Agency for Labour Retention and International Recruitment forwards the decision to the Embassy.

If a permit has been granted, the Embassy will notify you directly. You can then travel to Denmark to have the permit issued. Please note that if you are not visa exempt for Denmark, an entry visa will need to be issued for you.
If your application has been refused, the Embassy will send you a refusal letter.

The Embassy will not contact the authorities for status updates until the regular service goal for processing has been surpassed, however you are welcome to forward your status request directly to the DIS. Contact information can be found here.

important notice

Denmark offers a wide range of residence permits. For a complete overview, please visit NewToDenmark. We have created checklists for the most common applications types, which you can access via the menu on the left.

Processing Times

The processing time varies by the type of residence permit you are applying for. Find the service goals for processing here and here. The Royal Danish Embassy cannot provide status updates to your application. Please contact the responsible agency directly.

Appointment Booking

All residence permit applications, without exception, must be submitted via our outsourcing partner, VFS Global. You can book your appointment here.

For assistance:

Call VFS Global: 1-866-978-5904 (Live agent Monday to Friday 8am-5pm EST)

Email VFS Global:

Please note

Neither the Embassy nor our consulates can be held responsible for technical difficulties, human errors or shipping delays in the processing of passports, permits and visa applications.